Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Running a program on the system accessed via ssh

Controlling anything remotely is always kinda exciting and fun. And when it comes to computers its even more exhilarating. So when I became aware of ssh I was excited. Tried poking fun at people in computer lab by logging into their system and closing their programs and rebooted their computer. For a command line freak like me its even more fun to be able to actually control another computer from terminal.
But if you have tried running a program which requires a GUI you would have found that it gives an error stating
Error: No Display found.

I always wondered how that could be achieved but never knew really tried to find out. Today, however I decided to find out and blimey!!  a simple internet search revealed the answer. Prefix the program with this DISPLAY=:0. So if you want to run the terminal program on a gnome system run
$ DISPLAY=:0 gnome-terminal

And BINGO !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment